Using the reading Tania assigned you as a starting place (see below), you will create a 1000-word opinion piece that reacts to the ideas in that article. Think about how the article as a whole, or some topic within it, is arguing for, or against, design in transition.
A constraint to this assignment: You may not use the phrase “I think” nor any variation of that phrase.
- Drossscape by Alan Berger (Landscape Urbanism)
- Mapping Social Messes in Elsewhere Mapping (Cartographies)
- Why Problems Like Homelessness might be easier to solve than manage (Malcolm Gladwell)
- Bowling Alone: America’s Declining Social Capital by Robert Putnam
- Clutter, Writing and Design by Steven Baker in Emigre, vol 35, 1995
- What is Digital Cinema? by Lev Manovitch
- Play Anything by Ian Bogost (Adapted Essay from his book, Play Anything)
- Introduction to Alone Together by Sherry Turkle
- The Science of Design: Creating the Artificial by Herb Simon
- Design Ethics and Technological Mediation by Peter Paul Verbeek
- Critical Design Ethnography by Sasha A. Barab, et. al.
- Practicing Collaboration in Design by Sharon Poggenpohl