It’s Fall Y’all

I am thinking about fall.

The fall is my favorite time of the year. The leaves change to vibrant hues of yellows, oranges, reds. Starbucks releases their fall drinks filled with notes of cinnamon and spice. Hobby Lobby transforms their isles into kitschy walkways of “it’s fall y’all” and glittery pumpkins. Bath and Body Works releases scents like just encapsulate fall. What more could you want?

It seems as though my favorite days fall during this time – Halloween, my dad’s birthday, my birthday, my best friends’ birthday and then Thanksgiving.

Bats, ghosts, witches, orange, black, black cats, skulls, pumpkins, bones, blood, goo, green, cauldrons, mummies, zombies, monsters, pumpkin carving, trick-or-treating, costumes, masks, wigs, boo, horror movies, Halloween puns, haunted houses, candy (lots of candy). You could say I am a basic-witch.

Birthday cake, sitting awkwardly while people sing to you, family and friends, wrapping paper, presents, confetti, cards, pizza, party hats, games, ice cream, noise makers, another year of life.

Food, family and friends, table settings, the unique fresh and outdoorsy smell of my grandparents’ house in Florida, swimming, stories, pumpkin bread, chocolate chip cookies, football, long drives, gratitude.

A constant string of being with family and friends is the overarching theme of this season for me. I guess I really am thinking about family.

I just moved to Raleigh. 6 hours from home. My nearest friend is 2.5 hours away. I am starting all over. It was a little lonely at first. But fall also means that time has passed since I have moved here and as much as I miss my friends and family I have taken a second through this to realize I am making more friends. I have finally learned how to get to class without my GPS. I know which grocery store is my favorite here. And the closest Starbucks to get my first fall drink at.