What If??

For our most recent studio project, I’ve been exploring the provocation, “Is iteration a form of ritual?” Through observations and curiosities inspired by “What if?” questions, I further conceptualized the provocation and specified my research topic. “What if?” questions open up a world of possibilities and help me meditate on ideas that I normally wouldn’t. Additionally, it introduces a sense of play that makes the brainstorming process less solution oriented. 

The following are a list of my “What if?” questions for my recent studio exploration:

• What if iteration is a form of ritual?
  • What if the iterative process took on the form of affirmations for designer?
  • What if the ritualistic form of iterations dissolved established hierarchies?
  • What if iteration is a form of resistance?
  • What if iteration is an ideological tool that works to contain disorder in rituals?
  • What if “the thing” honored natural developmental stages?
  • What if “the thing” helped people share their works in progress and more of their iterative process?
  • What if “the thing” is a ritualistic feedback loop?
  • What if “the thing” challenged traditional iterative cycles?
  • What if “the thing” allowed for individuals and community to enter a “mutually-beneficial and regenerative (positive) feedback loop” where rites of passage are appropriately honored and celebrated?
  • What if “the thing” — similar to rites of passage — empowered individuals to be vital forces in the community?
  • What if “the thing” documented the different gestures of your iterative process and provided you with new gestures to try?
  • What if “the thing” was a product or service that helped create new rituals?
  • What if “the thing” is a designed artifact that supported existing rituals?
  • What if “the thing” had a reward system that provided rewards for certain stages of the iterative process?
  • What if “the thing” fostered rhythmical aspects of interaction into a collaborative iterative process (mutual  coordination,  listening  and  reciprocal  understanding)?
  • What if “the thing” is a text-based adventure game?
  • What if “the thing” is an epistolary game (game of letters)?